felix-dev mailing list archives

From Marcel Offermans <marcel.offerm...@luminis.nl>
Subject Re: ServiceTracker
Date Tue, 22 May 2007 17:20:51 GMT
On May 22, 2007, at 18:07 , Richard S. Hall wrote:

> Since the overall response has been positive (even though I am
> mostly in the "excess cruft" camp with Eric), I have gone ahead and
> added it.

I'm also in that camp, but I was at a conference (without internet)
today, so I missed out on the initial discussion.

I'm wondering, if ServiceTracker was supposed to be part of the
framework, why didn't OSGi define it as such. Since it's not part of
the framework, I don't like including it in Felix by default. It just
increases the size of the core.

So in my opinion we should not include it by default.

> Of course, BND could solve this by having people just pull ST into
> their bundle. But if everyone were to do this, then the savings we
> see by not having ST in the framework JAR would be quickly
> outweighed by the multiple copies of ST embedded into all of the
> bundles that use it.

If people don't need the whole compendium, they are free to create a
meaningful subset of it and use that. That's the other option they have.

If people are using another dependency manager (such as iPOJO) then
they don't need to use ST and you might actually want to discourage
people from using it at all by not providing it.