felix-dev mailing list archives

From "Nektarios K. Papadopoulos" <npapa...@inaccessnetworks.com>
Subject Re: ServiceTracker
Date Wed, 23 May 2007 16:04:11 GMT
Alin Dreghiciu wrote:
> As in a conversation I had with Peter Kriens he was pointing out that he
> could not think of a useful use case where the raw service listener can be
> used due to the missing of the events raised before.
> And what's the  then the listener? The ServiceTracker.

A bit irrelevant to the overall discussion, but related to the above
specific point:

IMHO, there is at least one useful use case where the raw service
listener can be used: when you write a Driver bundle (as in Device
Access specification). You don't care about service registration at all,
this is the job of the Device Manager. You only need to listen for
MODIFIED and UNREGISTERED events of the attached Device services.

> In my view it's qualifying for being part of the framework because it
> reduces the complexity of service tracking and is less error prone then
> using the service listener for the unaware.
> Regards,
> Alin Dreghiciu
> On 5/22/07, Richard S. Hall < heavy@ungoverned.org> wrote:
>> Should Felix start including ServiceTracker in the framework JAR file?
>> Up until now, it has never been included because the framework doesn't
>> use it, so it is just extra cruft and can easily be downloaded
>> separately. However, it appears that other frameworks make it available
>> by default.
>> Thoughts?
>> -> richard

Nektarios K. Papadopoulos
Senior Engineer
Software Engineering Group
inAccess Networks
95A Pentelis Avenue.    Tel    : +30-210-6837640
152 34 Halandri Athens  Fax    : +30-210-6899504

View raw message