felix-dev mailing list archives

From "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>
Subject Re: Roadmap
Date Mon, 21 May 2007 16:29:06 GMT
Chris Custine wrote:
> I am in the process of reworking the Apache Directory installers,
> which the
> Felix installers project is based on, so I could see about fixing up the
> installers here in the next couple of weeks.  Are there any changes
> you need
> for the setup or do you just need the existing setup to work?  I haven't
> worked on much Felix stuff in the past couple of months, but I assume the
> main problem is that the installer generator doesn't reflect the
> locations
> of some of the reorganized project directories, new jars, etc.?

Really the installers were working reasonably well, but there were a few
issues that needed to be improved. Some of these are listed under the
1.0.0 release in JIRA:

Most of the issues specifically related to the installer are fairly
simple (e.g., get rid of lib/ext/ directory or change name of demon from
'felix' to 'felixd'). Others I am not sure, such as automatically
determining if the user is root and doing the right thing when
installing the daemon.

-> richard

> Chris
> On 5/21/07, Niclas Hedhman <niclas@hedhman.org> wrote:
>> On Monday 21 May 2007 03:11, Karl Pauls wrote:
>> > 1) Should it be yet another tarball release or does somebody volunteer
>> > get our installer up and running again?
>> As long as the sources are generated in a tarball and placed
>> in /www/www.apache/org/dist, the legal requirement is met.
>> Any binary should also be placed in the same location, but for different
>> reason, namely to offload the ASF servers as such directory is
>> mirrored by
>> many.
>> I.e. Source == tarball, Binary == whatever is easiest.
>> Note: In my opinion, the Binary should be a Jar file, which one starts
>> with
>> java -jar felix-<version>.jar
>> and that in turn downloads and installs everything needed.
>> But, I got that tool already, so I barely care... ;o)
>> Cheers
>> --
>> Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer
>> I  live here; http://tinyurl.com/2qq9er