felix-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>
Subject Re: Roadmap
Date Sun, 20 May 2007 20:41:46 GMT
Carlos Sanchez wrote:
> A release as TLP is very important as it's going to be available in
> the main maven repository instead of the incubating one which other
> projects can't use to make releases.
> I'd love to see the release of the bundle plugin to use it in the 
> Maven project.

The maven-bundle-plugin would be included in the release since it is 
used by the framework and the shell bundles.

Actually, I have been wanting to 1) change the plugin to be a top-level 
subproject in the svn repo, which would also mean 2) changing its 
package (from org.apache.felix.framework.tools.maven2.bundleplugin to 
org.apache.felix.bundleplugin), and I would also 3) like to change its 
name from maven-bundle-plugin to perhaps just bundleplugin.

This will be part of the previous discussion that we had about 
reorganizing the svn repo to have all subprojects have their own 
top-level directory in the trunk, with related modules of the 
sub-project under the sub-project directory rather than in the trunk. I 
plan to start making this mods to the repo shortly.

-> richard

> my 0.02
> On 5/20/07, Karl Pauls <karlpauls@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Dear Felix Community,
>> in order to follow-up on recent discussions - and our new status as a
>> TLP - I'd like to get a roadmap towards a new release going. Let me
>> try to get a few thoughts across and see what the general reactions
>> are :-)
>> Looking back at recent comments and events I believe it would be
>> beneficial to get a new (and first) official release out of the door
>> as soon as possible. That would make it more clear where we are at the
>> moment and give Felix users something to build trust upon.
>> Personally, I'd prefer to get a "core release" out quickly. I know
>> that a lot of the subprojects are eager to get something out but we
>> need to discuss how to handle those releases and I don't want to delay
>> the core release because of that.
>> That said, taking the last release into account I guess, it would be
>> fairly easy to get the involved parts into shape and released within
>> the next month or two (namely, main, framework, plugin, shell,
>> shell.tui, bundlerepository, and org.osgi.core).
>> Richard tells me that he has still some stuff to commit to clean-up
>> the required bundle functionality, wants to address FELIX-203, and I
>> do have two small patches for the extension bundle stuff.
>> Other then that, we would need to remove the incubator references,
>> create proper NOTICE files, figure out a changelog, and tackle a few
>> questions namely,
>> 1) Should it be yet another tarball release or does somebody 
>> volunteer to
>> get our installer up and running again?
>> 2) Is this going to be our 1.0 release?
>> In regard to 2), I'm leaning towards a 1.0 release to emphasize our 
>> status as a
>> graduated project and the fact that the core Felix technology is stable
>> and usable now. I do not think it is necessary to tie the 1.0 release to
>> complete spec compliance, since being below 1.0 generally has a "not
>> quite ready" stigma attached to it, which is not the case. Our goal is
>> spec compliance and we will have to be clear in which areas we are not
>> yet compliant, but Felix is definitely far enough along to be considered
>> stable and a 1.0 release. However, if there are strong feelings to the
>> contrary, my opinion could be changed.
>> What do you all think?
>> regards,
>> Karl
>> -- 
>> Karl Pauls
>> karlpauls@gmail.com

View raw message