felix-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Carlos Sanchez" <car...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Roadmap
Date Sun, 20 May 2007 19:25:51 GMT
A release as TLP is very important as it's going to be available in
the main maven repository instead of the incubating one which other
projects can't use to make releases.
I'd love to see the release of the bundle plugin to use it in the Maven project.

my 0.02

On 5/20/07, Karl Pauls <karlpauls@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Felix Community,
> in order to follow-up on recent discussions - and our new status as a
> TLP - I'd like to get a roadmap towards a new release going. Let me
> try to get a few thoughts across and see what the general reactions
> are :-)
> Looking back at recent comments and events I believe it would be
> beneficial to get a new (and first) official release out of the door
> as soon as possible. That would make it more clear where we are at the
> moment and give Felix users something to build trust upon.
> Personally, I'd prefer to get a "core release" out quickly. I know
> that a lot of the subprojects are eager to get something out but we
> need to discuss how to handle those releases and I don't want to delay
> the core release because of that.
> That said, taking the last release into account I guess, it would be
> fairly easy to get the involved parts into shape and released within
> the next month or two (namely, main, framework, plugin, shell,
> shell.tui, bundlerepository, and org.osgi.core).
> Richard tells me that he has still some stuff to commit to clean-up
> the required bundle functionality, wants to address FELIX-203, and I
> do have two small patches for the extension bundle stuff.
> Other then that, we would need to remove the incubator references,
> create proper NOTICE files, figure out a changelog, and tackle a few
> questions namely,
> 1) Should it be yet another tarball release or does somebody volunteer to
> get our installer up and running again?
> 2) Is this going to be our 1.0 release?
> In regard to 2), I'm leaning towards a 1.0 release to emphasize our status as a
> graduated project and the fact that the core Felix technology is stable
> and usable now. I do not think it is necessary to tie the 1.0 release to
> complete spec compliance, since being below 1.0 generally has a "not
> quite ready" stigma attached to it, which is not the case. Our goal is
> spec compliance and we will have to be clear in which areas we are not
> yet compliant, but Felix is definitely far enough along to be considered
> stable and a 1.0 release. However, if there are strong feelings to the
> contrary, my opinion could be changed.
> What do you all think?
> regards,
> Karl
> --
> Karl Pauls
> karlpauls@gmail.com

I could give you my word as a Spaniard.
No good. I've known too many Spaniards.
                             -- The Princess Bride

View raw message