felix-dev mailing list archives

From David Lindelöf <david.linde...@adhoco.com>
Subject GPL'd OSGi bundles
Date Tue, 08 May 2007 06:49:27 GMT
Dear all,

I have a very general OSGi related question. What happens if someone
writes an OSGi bundle under the GPL licence and registers a service from
that bundle in the framework?

My understanding is that the framework cannot really be said to "link"
to the bundle and cannot be considered as forming a new program with it.
And other bundles that lookup this service cannot know in advance what
licence will be covering its providing bundle.

Is my understanding correct?

(I cannot use the LGPL, by the way. My work might include other GPL'd
code.)

Kind regards,
David Lindelöf
Product Developer
Adhoco AG
Technopark
Jagerstrasse 2
8406 Winterhur
tel +41-52-203.2903
mob +41-79-415.6641
fax +41-52-203.2904
e-mail david.lindelof@adhoco.com
url http://www.adhoco.com
weblog http://visnet.ch/smartbuildings/

Love may laugh at locksmiths, but he has a profound respect for money bags.
		-- Sidney Paternoster, "The Folly of the Wise"