felix-dev mailing list archives

From "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>
Subject Re: GPL'd OSGi bundles
Date Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:00 GMT
My interpretation of this would be that Felix is not linking with it, because Felix knows nothing
about it. Felix only knows about OSGi api, which is licensed under ASL.

As far as other bundles looking up the service, from my point of view that will depend on
the license of the service interface api. For example, if you implement the OSGi log service
it would be ok because that api is ASL. However if the GPL bundle defines a new GPL service
interface, then you would be screwed.

These are just my opinions, all disclaimers apply.

-> richard

-----Original Message-----

From:  David Lindelöf <david.lindelof@adhoco.com>
Subj:  GPL'd OSGi bundles
Date:  Tue 8. May 2007 1:49
Size:  1K
To:  felix-dev <felix-dev@incubator.apache.org>

Dear all,

I have a very general OSGi related question. What happens if someone
writes an OSGi bundle under the GPL licence and registers a service from
that bundle in the framework?

My understanding is that the framework cannot really be said to "link"
to the bundle and cannot be considered as forming a new program with it.
And other bundles that lookup this service cannot know in advance what
licence will be covering its providing bundle.

Is my understanding correct?

(I cannot use the LGPL, by the way. My work might include other GPL'd
code.)

Kind regards,
David Lindelöf
Product Developer
Adhoco AG
Technopark
Jagerstrasse 2
8406 Winterhur
tel +41-52-203.2903
mob +41-79-415.6641
fax +41-52-203.2904
e-mail david.lindelof@adhoco.com
url http://www.adhoco.com
weblog http://visnet.ch/smartbuildings/

Love may laugh at locksmiths, but he has a profound respect for money bags.
		-- Sidney Paternoster, "The Folly of the Wise"