felix-dev mailing list archives

From "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>
Subject Re: Adding hierarchies to the Maven build
Date Fri, 06 Apr 2007 14:35:43 GMT
Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> On Tuesday 03 April 2007 17:48, Richard S. Hall wrote:
>
>> Well, I don't look at this as a "should we support PDE or not" type of
>> argument.
>>

> Ok, let's extend the list;
>
>  1. Eclipse PDE is not happy with jars embedded in bundles. Is there a
> requirement on bundles produced by the Felix community that these bundles do
> not contain any embedded jars?
>
>  2. Eclipse PDE is incapable of handling the case when you call methods in a
> superclass that is in a non-exported package, but the subclass(es) are in an
> exported package. PDE complains about access restrictions where there are
> none.
>
> So, I still think there is a "general question" for this community to answer;
> Is Eclipse PDE support a primary objective of this community?

Clearly it is not a primary objective, but if minor compromises can be
made to make it more possible, then that is fine. However, I don't think
our repository structure should be held hostage to it.

It doesn't really sound like the above issues are related to repository
structure, so I am still content to go ahead with making the repository
more hierarchical.

-> richard