felix-dev mailing list archives

From "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>
Subject Re: State of maven-bundle-plugin
Date Fri, 23 Mar 2007 12:24:58 GMT
Alin Dreghiciu wrote:
> I'm not to much involved with felix development but as being part of the
> list for the past weeks I would say that you guys (commiters) should
> spent
> some time now on the development of maven-bundle-plugin. I see this very
> useful plugin as a key part for moving towards osgi development. What
> I also
> see is that due to slow advancements in the area people tend to branch
> and
> make their own versions. And there are a couple of people that are
> willing
> to put time in this plugin.
> So, let's first have a clear state of what is the state and what's
> required
> by:
>
> 1. create a new category in jira, something as Maven Bundle Plugin.

I, for one, don't want two OSGi plugins for maven in Felix. The goal for
me is to have one plugin, maven-bundle-plugin, and eliminate the other.
If your concern is that the JIRA component name doesn't match
"maven-bundle-plugin", then we can probably edit the name, but I don't
see a reason to have two JIRA components when there is only one path
forward as far as I am concerned. Others may disagree.

> 2. change the open issues related to mavne-bundle-plugin to the new
> category.

See above.

> 3. review them and assign the right priorities and close the "not useful"
> ones

Yes, I have posted messages saying that I would try to do this, but
clearly I am not the only one that is capable of doing this, so I
welcome any help in this area.

> 4. then let people repost patches at the current trunk version in the
> order
> of priority so applying patches will be easy

Agreed. This would be my suggestion too.

> 5. Please start with the easy ones (as the latest resources  posted by
> Stuart)
>
> So, let's give it a fresh start. I'm willing to help if I can and I'm
> pretty
> sure that are a few other that will do the same.
>
> Alin Dreghiciu
>
> P.S. Sorry that I just jumped up into "organizing"

I am not sure that a "fresh start" is necessary. Some people are paid to
do this work and some of people volunteer to do this work. We tend to
try to be flexible with the demands in other peoples' schedules around
here, since we don't know which category they fall into.

But thank you for your suggestions of how we committers should spend our
time.

-> richard