felix-dev mailing list archives

From "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>
Subject Re: What about Felix Commons
Date Fri, 09 Mar 2007 14:14:23 GMT

Alin Dreghiciu wrote:
> A kind of "urgent" question:
> Shall the exported packages of the wrapped jar contain the version of the
> jar? Something like:
>            <Export-Package>
>              *;version=${pom.version}
>            </Export-Package>

I assume by "version of the jar" you mean the released version of the
wrapped JAR. If the packages in foo.jar are versioned as a whole (like
most typical releases), then yes, the exported packages should be
exported with the associated version.

If the wrapped JAR contains various packages that are versioned
separately, then the various packages should have their corresponding
version.

Keep in mind that there will also be the Bundle-Version which is
independent of the package version. The package version should be the
one assigned by the original developer of the code. The Bundle-Version
will be assigned by the creator of the bundle wrapper pom...perhaps we
should adopt a common Bundle-Version for this first round.

I just looked at commons-collections and (assuming that I am reading the
pom correctly) I think it may have been done incorrectly. It has the
overall bundle-version as 3.2 (i.e., it has <version>3.2</version>), but
doesn't appear to attach any version to the packages. So, ultimately,
this means that you would have an exported package that looked like this:

    Export-Package: foo; version=0.0.0; bundle-version=3.2.0

This is not what we want. We want to version our bundles according to
their degree own version history, so for example our first attempt might
be "0.8.0" or something, but the exported packages are whatever the
original developer says they are. So for commons-collections, we really
want to set <version>0.8.0</version> and tell BND to export with
version=3.2.0. Thus, we would end up with exports like:

    Export-Package: foo; version=3.2.0; bundle-version=0.8.0

-> richard