felix-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Walker <r...@ascert.com>
Subject Re: Backward compatibility
Date Fri, 09 Mar 2007 09:53:27 GMT
We've just migrated our "main" application from Oscar to Felix.

It did take us some time, and there were a few areas of "detail" we had
to be careful of, but we're up and running now and Felix is doing a very
very good job for us.

We used mangen to deal with Manifest differences automatically - a
simple config switch tells it to process our bundle set and generate v2
manifests rather than v1 (our manifest generation is fully automated in
our build process).

That aside, a few minor tweaks and a custom MutablePropertyResolver to
make our property files work same in Felix as they did under Oscar, and
we're up and running.

Just out experiences

-- Rob

BOTTARO Andre RD-MAPS-GRE wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It happens that more than a year after the 4th public release of OSGi(tm) specification
and that felix project has begun, there is still an important gap to overcome for oscar developers
to adopt felix platform :
> - The numerous R3 bundles developed before are not deployable as is on the felix platform
whereas the Core specification announce that OSGi(tm) platfroms must be backward compatible
(Manifest version 1 and 2)
> - The felix platform is delivered with a bundle repository client which is not compatible
with previous repositories. It is due to obr 2 technical disrupt and felix decision (?) not
to remain backward compatible.

> It explains that the choice between R3 and R4 before any development phase is not easy
and I admit that I sometimes recommend to stay on the good old oscar... (especially for quick
developments, quick application tests, or developments with existing R3 bundles).

> Some (naive ?) solutions may answer the 2 problems I mention. Tell me if it is reasonable:
> - felix Module Class Loader may enable bundles with manifest version 1 to import all
the packages of the boot-delegation classpath. Or even better, a R3 module class loader can
be attached to those bundles.
> - oscar bundle repository client may be embedded in the felix one in order for the latter
to be backward compatible. (on this simpler topic, I could recommend using felix with kf bundle
repository client and server...)

--

Ascert - Taking systems to the Edge
robw@ascert.com