felix-dev mailing list archives

From Richard S. Hall <he...@ungoverned.org>
Subject Re: [commons] Added 2nd round of wrapper POM contributions
Date Tue, 06 Mar 2007 00:00:45 GMT
On Mar 5, 2007, at 6:52 PM, Tim Moloney wrote:

> Here is the reasoning behind my decision.
>
> Making it <artifactId>FOO</artifactId>:
> - allows us to use ${pom.artifactId} in many place in the pom.xml
> file, reducing the number of manual changes from the template pom.xml
> file
> - allows us to not specify <Bundle-SymbolicName> in the bnd
> <instructions> section, the bnd default works
> - The path in the maven repository is
> ~/.m2/repository/org/apache/felix/commons/FOO/version/FOO-version.jar
> which is still unique and far less wordy than
> ~/.m2/repository/org/apache/felix/commons/FOO/version/
> org.apache.felix.commons.FOO-version.jar

Well, I don't have a significant argument against, other than:

It is different that how we do Felix subprojects; at the time people
felt that long JAR names was a good idea because it would lessen the
possibility of JAR file name collisions (not everyone will use maven).

In the end, I can go either way, but I do dislike inconsistency. Should
we re-consider how we name our subproject JARs too? I dislike the fact
that we cannot use the plugin defaults too. :-)

-> richard