felix-dev mailing list archives

From "Rick Litton" <Rick.Lit...@ktd-kyocera.com>
Subject RE: Is there a Maven plugin to install a bundle to OBR?
Date Tue, 20 Feb 2007 19:27:50 GMT
Richard S. Hall wrote:

> Yes, that documentation is out of date. It was ported over from the OBR1
> documentation and was editing to some degree, but still needs to be
> finished. I at least tried to edit the two issues you pointed out, but I
> don't think the docs are still clear that symbolic name is the key for
> identifying a bundle and symbolic name + bundle version is a unique key.

As you know, the "symbolic name + bundle version is a unique key" requirement did bite me
which was a clear case of RTFM ("read the fine manual") on R4 specs.  So now I'm trying to
put more effort in reading the docs.  But I'm just glad to have come across this thread which
mentioned about the use of Bundle-UpdateLocation. Otherwise, I would have spent some time
trying to figure out why it would not work with OBR... ;)

Rick Litton

>> OBR2 does not use Bundle-UpdateLocation at all, so it should not be set
>> to anything.
>>

> Unfortunately, the documentation in http://cwiki.apache.org/FELIX/osgi-bundle-repository-obr.html
is not clear on this point (unless I'm looking at an older document).  Perhaps a clarification
is in order.

> Also, it mentions about the "oscar.repository.url property" which probably needs to be
"obr.repository.url" instead.  Thanks!

Yes, that documentation is out of date. It was ported over from the OBR1
documentation and was editing to some degree, but still needs to be
finished. I at least tried to edit the two issues you pointed out, but I
don't think the docs are still clear that symbolic name is the key for
identifying a bundle and symbolic name + bundle version is a unique key.

-> richard

> Rick Litton

you can download from the OSGi site. This allows you to statically generate a remository.xml
file that reflects the contents of a repository. It works on maven repositories or caches.
In my team, we are still working with Oscar and the former obr and we have developped our
own tools.

>> Of course a way of improving the process could be what Richard suggests, which is,
if I understand well: integrating the construction of the repository in the maven building
process. However I'm still not completely happy with that. I wonder if it would be possible
to have a "maven-br" bundle which relies on a maven repository: that is, rather than statically
generating the repository.xml file, let the job be done dynamically by the "maven-br" bundle.
>> This bundle could also exploit the maven cache mechanism.
>>

> Well, currently, OBR dynamically converts installed bundles into an "OBR
> repository", so nothing stops someone from creating a bundle that
> converts a given maven repository into an "OBR repository" that can
> simply be added to RepositoryAdmin... The devil is in the details,
> though. :-)
>

>> I am aware that there are some technical problems , but I do not measure exactly
the difficulty. The main problem I see is the consistency between the standard bundle installation/updating
process and the installation through a tool like obr (what do we put in the "bundle-update"
information ?).

automatically with http://myrepository/mybundle-1.0-20070212.123456.jar

copied http://oscar-osgi.sf.net/obr2/repository.xml
>> to ~/.m2/repository, then manually edited it to match the bundles that I've installed
in my maven repository.

>> Clearly, this is manually intensive and highly error-prone.  A Maven plugin that
parsed a bundle's MANIFEST.MF to load the <resource> elements in repository.xml would
be ideal.  I still don't know exactly how and where to get all of the specific pieces of data
since the OBR documentation appears a bit out of date.  Perhaps Richard or Peter can answer
this.