felix-dev mailing list archives

From "GERODOLLE Anne RD-MAPS-GRE" <anne.gerodo...@orange-ftgroup.com>
Subject RE: Is there a Maven plugin to install a bundle to OBR?
Date Mon, 12 Feb 2007 16:14:43 GMT
Hi everybody,

I asked the same question some time ago and was redirected to the bindex tool, which you can
download from the OSGi site. This allows you to statically generate a remository.xml file
that reflects the contents of a repository. It works on maven repositories or caches. In my
team, we are still working with Oscar and the former obr and we have developped our own tools.

Of course a way of improving the process could be what Richard suggests, which is, if I understand
well: integrating the construction of the repository in the maven building process. However
I'm still not completely happy with that. I wonder if it would be possible to have a "maven-br"
bundle which relies on a maven repository: that is, rather than statically generating the
repository.xml file, let the job be done dynamically by the "maven-br" bundle.
This bundle could also exploit the maven cache mechanism.

I am aware that there are some technical problems , but I do not measure exactly the difficulty.
The main problem I see is the consistency between the standard bundle installation/updating
process and the installation through a tool like obr (what do we put in the "bundle-update"
information ?). Anyway, a nice feature that could be added to the obr bundle could be "update
through obr", which would result in :
- Uninstall a bundle
- Install the bundle with the same reference using the obr;
- restore the bundle's state
So that we could have http://myrepository/mybundle-1.0-20070210.121414.jar replaced automatically
with http://myrepository/mybundle-1.0-20070212.123456.jar

Regards,