felix-dev mailing list archives

From Roland Weber <http-as...@dubioso.net>
Subject Re: (FELIX-212) commons-httpclient 3.0.1 wrapping
Date Sat, 24 Feb 2007 16:58:56 GMT
Hello Enrique,

> We are using Maven 2 and the "Bundle Plugin for Maven"
> (maven-bundle-plugin):
> http://cwiki.apache.org/FELIX/bundle-plugin-for-maven-bnd.html
> There was a BerliOS bundle plugin for Maven 1, but it didn't have some
> key functionality you would really want.  As for minimum JDK version
> required, I don't know.
> Opening an issue and working within your project would be great.

I've thought it over and came to the conclusion that OSGi support in
HttpClient 3.x is not a good idea. See Niclas' mail for one example,
and there are others. HttpClient 3 is simply not designed to be run
as a shared library. If we added the OSGi meta information, we'd be
encouraging users to run the code in an environment for which it is
ill suited.

We started a complete API redesign about two years ago:
componentized, new abstractions for the relevant concepts, all code
in new packages. The results of this work on HttpComponents [1],
which will include HttpClient 4, have recently started to pick up
traction. We'll be making sure that the new code base can be used
safely as a shared library. And since our releases for 4.0 are
built using Maven 2, we can employ the plugin you mentioned. I'll
keep it on my to-do list [2], and hopefully HttpComponents 4.0
releases will include the OSGi information later this year. That
of course depends on other people's views. Thanks for the pointers.

[1] http://jakarta.apache.org/httpcomponents/
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HTTPCLIENT-639

View raw message