felix-dev mailing list archives

From "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>
Subject Re: Leveraging OBR's generic dependency mechanism
Date Wed, 21 Feb 2007 07:17:16 GMT
Rick Litton wrote:
> This is a very interesting concept which I'm currently investigating.  I
> had followed the discussions on OBR particularly this thread where Felix
> Meschberger mentioned about the notion of a "set bundle".  You see we
> have a similar requirement but my interest focuses on the process for
> updating a set of installed bundles.  In our case, we need to manage the
> lifecycle of some plugins (aka bundles) since they contain or control
> resources (files) that have to be deployed in a certain order.  Looking
> at the code, the Resolver's deploy() method finds all the updatable
> local resources (installed bundles), using the LocalRepositoryImpl to
> populate a "start list". You also said somewhere later that it would not
> be difficult to map the actual resource (jar file) to the bundle which I
> tend to agree.
>
> Now assuming as you suggested that OBR can determine or discover the
> "set bundle" or start list plus its dependencies through the mechanism
> described above, I need to "intercept" OBR's execution after an update
> bundle is installed and resolved (but not started) and proceed with a
> "management agent" that would call the bundle's start() method at some
> point.  What would be your recommendation for going about this task?
> How do I make use of the "capability/requirement relationship" if in
> fact OBR produces the "start list" automatically?

Custom capabilities/requirements are only needed if the set of bundles
you want to install do not exhibit any of the normal OSGi dependencies
on each other (e.g., import-package, require-bundle, fragments). In the
case where they do not have these normal dependencies, you can easily
define a dependency that ties them together in some way.

You can create an arbitrary capability, then add it to the bundles that
you want included in your bundle set, then define a "set bundle" in the
OBR repo that has requirements for each of the bundles to be installed.
Thus, when you deploy the "set bundle" via OBR, it will automatically
pull in all of the bundles it requires via the custom
capability/requirement. It will, of course, also pull in any other
bundles referenced through standard OSGi dependencies.

As for how to intercept. Well, if we assume that we modify OBR to
somehow provide access to the mapping of installed bundles from a
deploy() operation, then the simple solution is to call deploy() with
the start flag set to false. Thus, your management agent tells OBR to
deploy (but not start) the "set bundle", which will return to the
management agent a mapping of the installed bundles. Your management
agent is then free to start the bundles in the returned set in any order
it wants.

However, I agree with Peter, try to eliminate the order issues...it is
not that difficult to make your initialization wait for the necessary
conditions, is it?

-> richard