felix-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: How to reexport packages when using import-package
Date Sat, 10 Feb 2007 03:09:55 GMT
On Friday 09 February 2007 08:05, Carlos Sanchez wrote:
> ok, so there's no "transitive dependency" thing like Maven has,

Speaking of that; IMHO If artifact A dependsOn artifact B which dependsOn
artifact C, then the transitive dependency should not provide C's classes to
A at compile time. Reason; If A uses anything directly in C, it would mean
that if a later version of B stop using C, A becomes 'unusable'.

Fast forward to OSGi; If you had the somewhat broken way of Maven allowing B
to automagically supply classes to A, then if one replaces B with another
implementation then A breaks. Therefor, A imports the C packages explicitly,
if they are needed, but if it is only internal use of C in B then it would
not require A to know about C.

> basically I have to reference all the bundles I need.

Try to stop thinking "bundles" and start thinking "packages". Bundles are
typically not referenced at all, especially not the generic case for the
maven-jar-plugin, which is what I am hoping you are working on.

View raw message