felix-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Needed: LDAP expression evaluation optimization
Date Thu, 25 Jan 2007 22:30:37 GMT
BJ Hargrave wrote:
> Another solution to this is to cache resolve state results across
> invocations. You will only need to invalidate the cache if the set of
> installed bundles changes or some other event triggers the resolver to
> modify the state.

IMO this is the only option.  Indices have value if the set of
properties you have are relatively constant.  Let me explain:

If bundles represent entries with properties which you need to test for
filter evaluation then you need some kind of master table with an id to
properties mapping.  Then you need to build indices mapping into that
master table where the key of the index is a property value, and the
value is the id into the master.  For example you may have something
like this.

Master
======
1 | Bundle A Properties
2 | Bundle B Properties
3 | Bundle C Properties
4 | Bundle D Properties
5 | Bundle E Properties

ObjectClass Property Index
=================
Foo | 3
Bar | 4

XYZ Property Index
... etc

Then search would use these indices to evaluate the filter.

The problem is the properties you'll encounter are unbounded (I maybe
wrong) so the number indices you'll need will be as large as the number
of unique properties used.

So I think BJ your idea may be the best option.