felix-dev mailing list archives

From "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>
Subject Re: Needed: LDAP expression evaluation optimization
Date Thu, 25 Jan 2007 21:09:48 GMT
Jan,

The issue is that we have a set of capabilities (each a set of
property-value pairs) that we must run filters over to find matching
capabilities. The set of capabilities can grow to be pretty large if you
consider OBR repositories, but even at run-time you can have quite a few
capabilities since it includes all exported packages and bundles (I have
heard of examples of bundles exporting 100's of packages).

So, assuming that we have a large set of capabilities, our new generic
approach requires even more use of filters evaluated over these set of
capabilities. So, the main reason why we have slowed down now is due to
the fact that we have to use filters more and this will only be
exacerbated as the number of capabilities grows in more complex use cases.

I assume what we need is some way to index the properties of our
capabilities so that we can really quickly evaluate a given filter over
the set of capabilities to find all that match. This is just my hunch.

If you think that you have something that can help out, I am all ears. :-)

-> richard