felix-dev mailing list archives

From "John E. Conlon" <jcon...@verticon.com>
Subject Re: Bundle-Classpath and Bnd
Date Mon, 22 Jan 2007 15:02:11 GMT
On Sun, 2007-01-21 at 13:46 -0500, Richard S. Hall wrote:
> John E. Conlon wrote:
> > Ran across a case where a project bundle was using a Bundle-Classpath
> > entry with the /target/classes/ value in it's manifest even though it
> > had no such path in the bundle.  As expected Bnd flagged this as an
> > error.
> >
> > Over at the spring-osgi maillist someone mentioned this practice as a
> > way to get their bundle working in an equinox environment. Don't
> > understand this statement really - Although I run eclipse I don't have
> > much experience with Equinox.
> >
> > Is fudging the behavior of Bundle-Classpath in this manner okay or is
> > this verboten?
>
> Yes, they are using this trick to get their bundles to work correctly as
> PDE projects (they are working with maven that puts classes in
> target/classes, but PDE doesn't expect them there, so they can add this
> to the bundle class path to get PDE to look in the right place...or
> something like that).
>
> The spec says that missing class path entries should be ignored, so this
> is ok I guess, but it does make life difficult for BND.

I may not understand this... but doesn't the path refer to resources
within the bundle/jar? If a bundle is created with a Bundle-Classpath
pointing to /target/classes/ why would the Equinox runtime look for
resources on the file system? Do other frameworks do this?

So if I create a production bundle and deploy it with such a Bundle-
Classpath and one or more OSGi frameworks looks outside of the bundle
for resources on the filesystem wouldn't this be a potential security
issue?

regards - John