felix-dev mailing list archives

From "Ivo K. Koga" <ivo.k...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Importing packages and using classes from the bundle that exported it
Date Mon, 18 Dec 2006 15:34:56 GMT
Hi Jan,

Sorry abt my ignorance abt many aspects of your e-mail, but you said that
maven could help not getting this kind of errors, or am I wrong?

I don't know anything abt maven unless the mvn clean install to build felix

But how I can use it to help me?

I saw that a maven eclipse plugin already exist. Do I have just to use it
and learn how to use maven?

Another question:
You mentioned: " the transition from the PDE to a BDE is the thing
that would make my life a lot easier".

Is PDE = Plugin development environment and BDE = Bundle development

On 12/17/06, Jan S. Rellermeyer <rellermeyer@inf.ethz.ch> wrote:
> > Verifying again the classes I was using I realized that Eclipse pointed
> import the class I was using (called MPCLPingResultVO) from other project
> that I was using as a dependency. That was the problem.
> Yes, that's a sometimes annoying side-effect copy/paste in Eclipse. I ran
> so
> often into it ...
> So taking on the previous discussions on Eclipse, Maven and OSGi, I can
> state from my experience that the different handling of dependencies is
> the
> cumbersome part, much more than the quality of the individual strategies.
> In Eclipse, everything resides in a magic "bin" folder and over the time,
> lot of old (and dead) code is accumulating which sometimes lead to strange
> side-effects. (Not to speak from those effects that you have just
> encountered: An innocent paste sometimes introduce dependencies that were
> never intended and as long as you stay in Eclipse, they can easily been
> overseen unless you try to run it on "real OSGi".) So a regular cleaning
> of
> the project is necessary.
> Since Eclipse is not able to manage multiprojects, I need maven to do this
> task. Maven has it's own repository where the dependencies bundles are
> stored and every subproject has its own target folder. Once again, regular
> cleanups or strange behaviors. What comes out in the end of this process
> is
> still often not what I have intended to do, no matter which plugin I use.
> When I start my Eclipse in the morning, I can go for breakfast, read and
> reply to all my mails that have arrived over night (even read all the new
> posts on the felix mailing list :-)) and still have to wait since it takes
> minutes until the workspace has finished building all the open projects.
> The
> reason for this? It's the Maven-Eclipse integration that makes things so
> slow. But if I don't have it, I have yet another layer where I have to
> maintain the dependencies between the bundles. A layer additional to the
> poms that I need for building and to my different OSGi deployments with
> all
> their startup scripts that I need for running and testing. (To make
> matters
> even worse, I am a pervasive computing person, so I have a number of
> different deployments for each project). Everytime I move to a new version
> of a bundle, I have to manually adjust all the dependencies anyway.
> So from my point of view, the transition from the PDE to a BDE is the
> thing
> that would make my life a lot easier. But most important, the one bundle =
> one project strategy is far away from reality when it comes to the
> development of real-life OSGi applications (and this is from my point of
> view the main difference between plugins and bundles: The complexity of
> the
> [...]

Msc. Candidate in Computer Networks at Universidade Salvador/BA/Brazil
Measurement WG - RNP/Brazil