felix-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff McAffer <Jeff_McAf...@ca.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Launch Felix with PDE
Date Tue, 19 Dec 2006 15:51:55 GMT
Just for a point of reference, what some of the folks in the Spring OSGi
world have been doing is just putting the "bin" (whatever) dirs on the
Bundle-Classpath in the manifest.  That works at dev time and at regular
runtime that dir does not exist.  This is basically a hack equivalent of
the dev classpath support we have talked about in the past. Implementing
the dev classpath support is not that complex so I would go that route.

Jeff

Thomas Watson <tjwatson@us.ibm.com>
12/19/2006 12:09 AM
Please respond to
felix-dev@incubator.apache.org

felix-dev@incubator.apache.org
cc

Subject
Re: Launch Felix with PDE

"Richard S. Hall" <heavy@ungoverned.org> wrote on 12/18/2006 02:01:34 PM:

> Reading your issue about slow start up due to having to create bundle
> JAR files...I think this can be partially avoided by doing install by
> reference (i.e., "reference:"); however, as I understand it, this would
> require that you structure your project a little differently, such as
> having your classes compiled into the root or something (Tom might be
> able to explain).

Without dev classpath support in the framework you need to place all you
source and output folders at the root of your projects.  Then you should
be able to use a reference: URL to install the project directory as a
bundle.  This only works because the root of the project will look like
a bundle to the framework with the META-INF/MANIFEST.MF and .class files
located directly from your project directory.  Another limitation is
you must only put '.' on your Bundle-ClassPath (or do not
define a Bundle-ClassPath since this is the default).

HTH

Tom