felix-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Rick Litton" <Rick.Lit...@ktd-kyocera.com>
Subject RE: Felix and Eclipse PDE roadblock
Date Sun, 10 Dec 2006 08:06:57 GMT
I finally got the equinox extension point registry running.  It was not easy to say the least.
I had to make some changes to the equinox code and manifest files. It's still a long way off
from being perfect but it seems to work (see below)!

-> ps
   ID   State         Level  Name
[   0] [Active     ] [    0] System Bundle (0.8.0.SNAPSHOT)
[   1] [Active     ] [    1] Apache Felix Shell Service (0.8.0.SNAPSHOT)
[   2] [Active     ] [    1] Apache Felix Shell TUI (0.8.0.SNAPSHOT)
[   3] [Active     ] [    1] Apache Felix Bundle Repository (0.8.0.SNAPSHOT)
[   4] [Active     ] [    1] OSGi R4 Core Bundle (4)
[   5] [Active     ] [    1] OSGi R4 Compendium Bundle (4)
[   6] [Active     ] [    1] Servlet 2.1 API (0.8.0.SNAPSHOT)
[   7] [Active     ] [    1] Eclipse Equinox Supplement (
[   8] [Active     ] [    1] HTTP Service (0.8.0.SNAPSHOT)
[   9] [Active     ] [    1] Eclipse Equinox Common (
[  10] [Active     ] [    1] Eclipse Equinox Registry (
[  11] [Active     ] [    1] Application Plug-in (1.0.0)

Will need to add the equinox http bundles in lieu of the felix http since my example requires
this service.  One issue that could have been avoided was the doubling of the package name
"org.eclipse.core.runtime" in two equinox bundles (common and registry).  From experience
with Oscar, this can be problematic. If there is an area for "examples" in the Felix repository
I can probably check in the files with a readme to explain what was done.

Thanks to Richard and Jeff ("the McAffer guy")!

-- rick    

-----Original Message-----
From: Rick Litton [mailto:Rick.Litton@ktd-kyocera.com]
Sent: Sat 12/9/2006 10:14 AM
To: felix-dev@incubator.apache.org; felix-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: RE: Felix and Eclipse PDE roadblock
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the tip.  I will try it...



-----Original Message-----
From: Jeff McAffer [mailto:Jeff_McAffer@ca.ibm.com]
Sent: Fri 12/8/2006 8:09 PM
To: felix-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Felix and Eclipse PDE roadblock

As a point of interest, you should be able to use the Equinox Supplement 
rather than org.eclipse.osgi.  This bundle is designed to supply the bits 
of the Equinox framework that are needed in other OSGi scenarios.

I believe some folks in Equinox land have gotten the registry working on 
Knopflerfish.  Not sure if they have tried Felix.  Perhaps you should ask 
on the equinox newsgroup for some guidance.  I'm sure they would be happy 
to compare notes


"Rick Litton" <Rick.Litton@ktd-kyocera.com> 
12/08/2006 01:57 PM
Please respond to


Felix and Eclipse PDE roadblock

I'm still trying to get the extension points registry to work in Felix
and unfortunately, I have hit a roadblock.  After trying out several
combinations and pruning the eclipse core bundle (as Richard Hall has
suggested) to remove redundant osgi core classes, I have created the
following dependency graph to help illustrate the problem:


       /---> org.osgi.compendium


       |  (requires: org.osgi.util.tracker package)


       |---> org.osgi.core


       |  (requires: org.osgi.service.permissionadmin package)


       |     org.eclipse.osgi_3.2.1R32x <----\ 

       |            ^                        |

       |  (requires:|org.eclipse.osgi.service.urlconversion package)

       |            |                        |

       |---- org.eclipse.equinox.common      |

       |               ^                     | 

       |               |                     |

       |               |                     |

       \---- org.eclipse.equinox.registry    |

                       |                     |

                       |                     |


          (requires: org.eclipse.osgi.service.datalocation package)

I hope the graph is displayed correctly by your mail client.  Anyhow, I
was getting quite a few BundleExceptions "Unable to resolve due to
constraint violation").  So I removed all the optional bundles and
proceeded to test each one.  Immediately, the BundleException came up
after I had just added/started the org.osgi.core  bundle.   I certainly
would welcome any suggestion to resolve this problem. 

Rick Litton

  • Unnamed multipart/alternative (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message