felix-dev mailing list archives

From "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>
Subject Re: When and how to adjust org.osgi.framework.system.packages
Date Sun, 10 Dec 2006 03:25:46 GMT
Steven E. Harris wrote:
> "Richard S. Hall" <heavy@ungoverned.org> writes:
>> You do not need the entire bundle on the class path, you only need
>> the org.osgi.service.log package on the class path. The bundle impl
>> should not be on the class path.
> [...]
>> Still, you should only be adding service interfaces to the class
>> path, not implementations...
> I understand the intent, but I'm confused as to its practical
> application. Once again, we risk dragging another thread's topic in
> here, but are you proposing that I break up the org.apache.felix.log
> bundle/JAR and pull out the class files from the org.osgi.service.log
> package, adding just these class files to my main application?
> Normally I side with the point of view that avoids breaking up JARs
> published by others. Is there some other way to add these interfaces
> to the class path besides extracting a subset out of the Felix log
> JAR?

You can put the whole log bundle on the class path, I don't care, but
you should still only export the log package from the system bundle.
Then you can install the log bundle and update, etc. as a normal bundle.

Frankly, it puzzles me why it seems to be such a big concern to take
open source files and put them in your own project. This a valid form of
re-use. This has nothing to do with "extracting a subset out of the
Felix log JAR". We are talking about open source interface files that
the OSGi Alliance makes available for use in your projects. From my
point of view, re-using these files in your own project is not a big
deal. They are interface classes after all, not implementation classes.
For example, the fact that the log bundle has this package inside of it
all is just because I arbitrarily decided to put it there from the
compendium bundle.

Sorry, if I sound like I am ranting...don't me to...

-> richard

View raw message