felix-dev mailing list archives

From "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>
Subject Re: Bundle plugin: Importing packages from non-bundles
Date Wed, 06 Dec 2006 19:24:59 GMT

Emil Eifrém wrote:
> On 12/6/06, Peter Kriens <Peter.Kriens@aqute.biz> wrote:
>> How can it NOT generate Import-Package for bundles that are on the
>> Bundle-Classpath?
>
> Maybe this is a typo, but maybe it's important. I'm not going to have
> any *bundles* on the Bundle-Classpath, I'm going to have plain jars.
> (See my commons-logging example.) Does this make a difference?
>
>> This means you have unresolved dependencies in your
>> code, which can give you very nasty problems during deployment and
>> running the code. That is like putting out class files that have compile
>> errors.
>
> Hmm, then I'm mistaken about some OSGi fundamentals. I thought the
> framework matched my bundle's Import-Packages to other bundles
> Export-Packages. In this case, I don't want the framework to find a
> bundle that provides the package since the package is provided by the
> (plain, non-bundle) embedded jar on the Bundle-Classpath. That's why I
> thought the plugin shouldn't add the package to the Import-Package
> statement.
>
> Is this an incorrect understanding of how OSGi works?
Your understanding of OSGi is correct.

I think there is a misunderstanding about what you are describing.

You are saying that you don't want imports generated for the same
packages contained inside of embedded JAR files on your bundle class
path, correct? I think Peter thought you meant that you didn't want to
generate imports for the packages required by the packages in your
embedded JAR files. You want the latter, but not the former...you
indicate that the former is probably a bug in the old plugin. Correct?

-> richard