felix-dev mailing list archives

From "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>
Subject Re: Programmatic/non-shell-based interface to OBR
Date Fri, 01 Dec 2006 19:00:38 GMT
Steven E. Harris wrote:
> "Richard S. Hall" <heavy@ungoverned.org> writes:
>> I am not sure why you want to add requirements or see adding a
>> Resource to the resolver as extra work.
> I meant it's extra work for the resolver, as adding a Resource to the
> Resolver tells it that we need to go find the given Resource, even
> though we know it's already installed.

Ok, now I understand what you are saying, but as I said, it really isn't
extra work since the OBR code has to be able to deal with resources
being locally installed anyway. That is why OBR has the LocalRepository
and LocalResource in the first place, because it has to be able to treat
locally installed stuff as resources and the deploy() algorithm has to
deal with the fact that things that it might want to deploy could
already be installed (either the correct or incorrect version).

> Please let me know if I can help. As I'm new to Felix, I don't yet
> feel qualified to decide /where/ this capability should be
> implemented. However, I could probably help implement it.

After talking with Peter Kriens a bit about it, I think when I get the
time to work on it, I will just create a OBR-impl-specific package to
export. The OBR spec is essentially OSGi independent, so it seems to
make sense to keep it that way. Even though they will be exposed as
OBR-impl packages, you can still use those on other frameworks with
other OBR implementations, so it seems reasonable...and with the new
bundle plugin, you can easily just extract that package and include it
in your own bundle if you want, to make it completely independent of
Felix' OBR impl.

-> richard

View raw message