felix-dev mailing list archives

From <rl16...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Felix and Eclipse PDE roadblock
Date Mon, 18 Dec 2006 06:44:15 GMT
FW: Felix and Eclipse PDE roadblockYalcin and Jeff,

I have attached a short summary of the changes made to the Eclipse bundles to get the Equinox
extension registry working in Felix.  I apologize for the delay as other projects were in
the way.  I'm not sure at this stage what bug reports I need to open.  I suggest that we discuss
this summary over at the Equinox mailing list instead.  Regards.

Rick Litton

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeff McAffer [mailto:Jeff_McAffer@ca.ibm.com]
Sent: Sun 12/10/2006 6:01 AM
To: felix-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: RE: Felix and Eclipse PDE roadblock

Great news!  Can you open bug reports in Eclipse/Equinox/Bundles for any
changes that you think should be made in Equinox to make this work more
seamlessly?  Please send me or equinox-dev any additional info you might
have so we can add this to the wiki and others can benefit.

As for the "split package" (org.eclipse.core.runtime) we certainly did not
do this willingly.  We tried and tried to avoid it but in the end could
not without breaking backwards compatibility.  The extension registry API
have been around for many years and are widely used.  Unfortunately, the
registry APIs were tightly coupled with the original Eclipse runtime API
(we never envisioned that the runtime would exist independent of the
registry) so are stuck.  This is similar the the way the OSGi service
registry APIs are coupled to the OSGi modularity APIs.

Anyway, if Felix supports Require-Bundle then this should all just work
(i.e., we are not doing anything Eclipse-specific in this area). According
to the R4 spec, Require-Bundle is the only way to join two or more package
fragments from different bundles.

Jeff

"Rick Litton" <Rick.Litton@ktd-kyocera.com>
12/10/2006 03:06 AM
Please respond to
felix-dev@incubator.apache.org

<felix-dev@incubator.apache.org>, <felix-dev@incubator.apache.org>,
<felix-dev@incubator.apache.org>
cc

Subject
RE: Felix and Eclipse PDE roadblock

I finally got the equinox extension point registry running.  It was not
easy to say the least. I had to make some changes to the equinox code and
manifest files. It's still a long way off from being perfect but it seems
to work (see below)!

-> ps
START LEVEL 1
   ID   State         Level  Name
[   0] [Active     ] [    0] System Bundle (0.8.0.SNAPSHOT)
[   1] [Active     ] [    1] Apache Felix Shell Service (0.8.0.SNAPSHOT)
[   2] [Active     ] [    1] Apache Felix Shell TUI (0.8.0.SNAPSHOT)
[   3] [Active     ] [    1] Apache Felix Bundle Repository
(0.8.0.SNAPSHOT)
[   4] [Active     ] [    1] OSGi R4 Core Bundle (4)
[   5] [Active     ] [    1] OSGi R4 Compendium Bundle (4)
[   6] [Active     ] [    1] Servlet 2.1 API (0.8.0.SNAPSHOT)
[   7] [Active     ] [    1] Eclipse Equinox Supplement
(1.0.0.200612091415)
[   8] [Active     ] [    1] HTTP Service (0.8.0.SNAPSHOT)
[   9] [Active     ] [    1] Eclipse Equinox Common (3.3.0.200612091417)
[  10] [Active     ] [    1] Eclipse Equinox Registry
(3.2.100.200612091419)
[  11] [Active     ] [    1] Application Plug-in (1.0.0)
->

Will need to add the equinox http bundles in lieu of the felix http since
my example requires this service.  One issue that could have been avoided
was the doubling of the package name "org.eclipse.core.runtime" in two
equinox bundles (common and registry).  From experience with Oscar, this
can be problematic. If there is an area for "examples" in the Felix
repository I can probably check in the files with a readme to explain what
was done.

Thanks to Richard and Jeff ("the McAffer guy")!

-- rick