felix-dev mailing list archives

From "Steven E. Harris" <...@panix.com>
Subject Re: Programmatic/non-shell-based interface to OBR
Date Wed, 29 Nov 2006 20:48:26 GMT
"Richard S. Hall" <heavy@ungoverned.org> writes:

> I am not really sure I understand the issue as you describe it. The
> bundle repository does not depend on the Felix shell in any way.

Looking (even) more closely, I must be mistaken. Here's what I saw in
felix/trunk/bundlerepository/pom.xml:

    <dependency>
      <groupId>${pom.groupId}</groupId>
      <artifactId>org.apache.felix.shell</artifactId>
      <version>${pom.version}</version>
    </dependency>

That's a compile-time dependency, and Maven then assumes it must also
be a runtime dependency.

Later in pom.xml, there's this, as part of the manifest definition:

  <Dynamic-ImportPackage>org.apache.felix.shell</Dynamic-ImportPackage>

Is it correct that Dynamic-ImportPackage will only attempt to load the
shell bundle if one touches a particular class or method in the
bundlerepository bundle that needs the shell? Can I safely load the
bundlerepository bundle without using the shell bundle?

> So, that is basically the standard algorithm for using the OBR API:

I'll have to look into the API further. Perhaps that will answer all
my questions.

> What else specifically do you need? Besides documentation...

Well, I do have another question about embedding the framework and how
to arrange that as part of a larger application, but I'll save that
for a separate thread.

So far you've been very helpful.

--
Steven E. Harris