felix-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff McAffer <Jeff_McAf...@ca.ibm.com>
Subject Re: are Extension- headers proprietary ?
Date Thu, 16 Nov 2006 18:14:09 GMT
Toni Menzel <tonimenzel@gmx.de> wrote on 11/16/2006 11:26:33 AM:

> The thing is that the PDE has support for another layer (I think it's a
> plattform like everything made @eclipse ;-)  on top of osgi dealing with

> extensions and extensionpoints.
> But that stuff goes to plugin.xml and denotes to that layer/plattform
> specific to the Eclipse.
> So that has nothing todo with the headers described above. (I just got
> too much new suff mixed up in my head, ..)

The way to think about this is that the Extension registry is a general
mechanism for allowing components to interact.  PDE includes tooling for
the extension registry in the same way it would if someone showed up to do
tooling for Declarative services.  T

> @Jeff: is there some more abstract description about that
> extension/extension-point mechanism used in RCP but without dealing with

> the "C" too much (so something like Rich-Plattform) ?
> (I've seen and used that things in a very small sample RCP app, without
> hesitating about osgi back then). So I want to figure out if it makes
> sense from the osgi perspective too.
> Thanks for the very good feedback!

The extension mechanism is completely generic and has nothing to do with
clients and or rich (but everything to do with platforms :-)  Basically
anything you learn about them in the context of RCP is directly useful in
all other contexts.  There is some doc in the Help (not help enabled right
now) and in various books.  There is also an EclipseCon presentation
comparing and contrasting extensions with services
        http://www.eclipsecon.org/2006/Sub.do?id=185

HTH
Jeff