felix-dev mailing list archives

From "Rick Litton" <Rick.Lit...@ktd-kyocera.com>
Subject RE: Felix and Eclipse PDE
Date Wed, 29 Nov 2006 17:51:12 GMT

Thanks Jeff for the quick response.  Yes, I would certainly like to try out your suggestion
and load up those bundles.  My only concern is if there could be some issues supporting two
registries simultaneously (Felix bundle registry and Equinox extension registry).  But perhaps
this is a good strategy to maintain a separation of concerns.  I understand from your recent
book on RCP, you mentioned somewhere that the Equinox team felt it was not practical to convert
extension points to plain OSGi services.  But now it seems that this perception has changed
with the adoption of declarative services for the extension point mechanism.  Not knowing
much about how Equinox implemented extension points, I had earlier implemented a similar but
simplistic version of this concept using an IExtensionPoint service api in Felix (then Oscar).
 This was borne out of necessity (project deadline) more than anything else.

P.S. I read your sample chapter on RCP (Chapter 2).  Kudos on an excellent book!  I would
recommend it even if you are not into RCP since it has valuable info on Eclipse.

-- rick

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeff McAffer [mailto:Jeff_McAffer@ca.ibm.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 28, 2006 8:17 PM
To: felix-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: RE: Felix and Eclipse PDE

The Eclipse extension mechanism is an addon service/mechanism analogous to
declarative services.  That is, you should be able to take the
org.eclipse.equinox.registry bundle (and its prereqs) from Equinox and use
it on other frameworks.  In the case of the registry I suspect you would
need the o.e.equinox.common and o.e.equinox.supplement bundles.  The
latter supplies implementations of various services that are included in
the Equinox system bundle as part of its implementation strategy.  We are
just redoing how we manage the supplement bundle so a new one will appear
in builds soon (or already has).  I know that people have run the registry
on Knopflerfish.  Perhaps you would be interested in trying it out on
Felix and reporting back to the Equinox team?

"Rick Litton" <Rick.Litton@ktd-kyocera.com>
11/28/2006 03:13 PM
Please respond to

RE: Felix and Eclipse PDE

Hi all,

The area of extension points is quite important for my organization.  I
was wondering if anyone can provide an update on this issue.  Is anyone
from the Felix community working to make Eclipse and Felix interoperable?
Is there some sort of timeline to implement extension points in Felix?  If
not, why not?  Thanks!

Rick Litton