felix-dev mailing list archives

From "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>
Subject Re: Which OSGi plugin to bet on?
Date Thu, 30 Nov 2006 18:11:14 GMT
Steven E. Harris wrote:
> "Richard S. Hall" <heavy@ungoverned.org> writes:
>>    http://cwiki.apache.org/FELIX/bundle-plugin-for-maven-bnd.html
> The documentation states that the default behavior for Import-Package
> is as follows:
>   <Import-Package> is assumed to be "*", which imports everything
>   referred to by the bundle content, but not contained in the bundle.
> When I create my bundles, packages that I export that /are/ contained
> in the bundle still get mentioned in the Import-Package header. Is
> this intended?

I guess that wording should be changed slightly.

Yes, that is intended because it allows those packages to be
substitutable with other providers. If your bundle only exported them,
then it would always get them from itself, even in cases where there was
another provider already in use. This would then limit interoperability,
because your bundle would not be able to interact with bundles using the
other provider's packages. You can explicitly tell the plugin to not
import an exported package if you do not want this behavior.

-> richard

View raw message