felix-dev mailing list archives

From "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>
Subject Re: Programmatic/non-shell-based interface to OBR
Date Wed, 29 Nov 2006 19:27:42 GMT
Steven,

I am not really sure I understand the issue as you describe it. The
bundle repository does not depend on the Felix shell in any way. There
is a shell command created so that we can have a simple shell-based UI,
but that is that.

The API for OBR is defined by the org.osgi.service.obr package, which
was defined at http://bundles.osgi.org/rfc-0112_BundleRepository.pdf,
but this link appears to be broken now. Peter?

As for the _deploy() method, it is just using the defined API from the
above package to provide a shell-based UI. All it does is parse the
command line, get an OBR resolver, add the bundles specified from the
parsed command line to the resolver, call resolve to resolve any
dependencies, then call deploy if the dependencies are resolved.

Most of the code is just printing status information to stdout.

So, that is basically the standard algorithm for using the OBR API:

   1. Get a resolver.
   2. Add desired resources to the resolver (discovered through the
      repository admin interface).
   3. Resolve the resolver's set of resources.
   4. Deploy if successfully resolved, print error message if not.

This approach is also used to create a GUI front-end for OBR (which
hasn't been committed due to lack of time); the OBR GUI doesn't have
anything at all to do with the shell.

What else specifically do you need? Besides documentation... :-)

-> richard