felix-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Moloney <t.molo...@verizon.net>
Subject Re: Can maven-ant-plugin create a Felix bundle?
Date Wed, 08 Nov 2006 14:57:55 GMT
Thanks for the reply.

I too primarily use Maven since I think that Maven is awesome.  However,
it is not nearly as pervasive as Ant and it is a bit "needy".

It needs access to the Internet, not only to get project dependencies,
but to also get all of Maven plugins, which can be quite a lot.  For
those without access to the Internet, this is a problem.  Granted, you
can initially build on an Internet-connect machine, then move the local
repository to the disconnected machine.  However, the local repository
includes a lot of dependencies for someone who just needs to build the
software but not do development.

My hope was to use Maven to do development of a project on an
Internet-connected machine.  Then, when the project is released, I would
also release the project's sources, an ant build.xml file, and all the
project's dependencies.  This would be the smallest complete set of
requirements for someone to build the project from source.  This set of
requirements would be much less than those required to build the project
using Maven.

Perhaps this is just too much to ask.  Thanks again for the reply.

Tim Moloney