felix-dev mailing list archives

From "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>
Subject Re: Felix Commons Initiative Status
Date Sat, 04 Nov 2006 12:28:46 GMT
Ivo K. Koga wrote:
> Hi Richard,
> I don´t know If I understood, but is this an effort to put some of public
> knowledge open sources libraries in bundles to be accessable by people
> who
> wants to use it?

The basic idea is to create a community effort around taking third-party
open source libraries and making bundles out of them. In general, we all
end up creating bundles out of various common libraries, so rather than
us each duplicating the effort, we can do it as a community and share
these bundle-ized third-party libraries.

> If it´s the case, I don´t know exactly how I can contribute, but I
> think it
> will be a very interesting task. Hope I could be helpful in anything.

If you have libraries you have turned into bundles, then you can offer
to contribute them.

I was thinking lately that we could actually define a common
process/approach for bundling third-party libs and define a POM file
template for our new maven plugin for doing so. Then the whole process
potentially becomes really simple. Felix Commons could become a large
"project" of POMs where each simply has a dependency on the library it
wants to convert, which will then convert it automatically with the
plugin when built...then we just need to make the resulting JARs
publicly available (perhaps through OBR and Maven) and we are done.

Just a thought I was having...perhaps Enrique or other people have
thoughts on this.

Thanks for your interest.

-> richard
> Regards,
> Ivo K. Koga
> On 11/4/06, Richard S. Hall <heavy@ungoverned.org> wrote:
>> John E. Conlon wrote:
>> > What is the latest status of the commons?
>> >
>> > I'm willing to help start doing the spade work if this will help
>> move it
>> > forward.
>> I recently talked with Enrique about this and it sounds like he is going
>> to get some time to start working on it...I think he will post more
>> thoughts on this soon.
>> I just created a placeholder page on the subproject document sections of
>> the wiki:
>> http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FELIX/Apache+Felix+Commons
>> If you have some specific libraries you with to volunteer to bundle-ize,
>> I can add your name and the libraries to the wiki page for now until we
>> decide what our process will be.
>> -> richard

View raw message