felix-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>
Subject Ch-ch-ch-changes...
Date Thu, 02 Nov 2006 22:17:03 GMT
Ok, I committed the new Maven Bundle Plugin. I created some docs for the 
new plugin here:

    http://cwiki.apache.org/FELIX/bundle-plugin-for-maven-bnd.html

I think the plugin is in pretty good shape now. In my opinion, we should 
probably replace the old plugin with this new one, but we don't need to 
make that decision right now since we have both in the repo.

As part of committing the new plugin, I updated several of the 
subprojects to use the new plugin and everything looks pretty good, 
except...

The catch is that Maven has a bug that appears when you have multiple 
packaging plugins in the same project. We saw this bug first appear with 
iPOJO, which has its own packaging plugin. The symptom of this bug is 
that the generated JAR files do not have a .jar suffix, but instead are 
named after the packaging type. We were able to avoid this bug by 
putting iPOJO at the end of our modules, because we don't have any 
modules in the repo that use the iPOJO plugin. However, with this new 
plugin, we have bundles trying to use both the old and the new plugins 
at the same time and this made the problem reappear. I could not find 
any way around it from within Maven...thus, I had to resort to extreme 
measures.

What I did was split out top-level pom.xml file into two files, one 
containing subprojects that use the new plugin and those using the old 
plugin. I then created an Ant build.xml file that will build both files. 
You can do "ant clean", "ant install", or just "ant" to do "clean 
install". Until Maven fixes this bug, I don't see another way around 
it...unless everyone does like the new plugin better, then we can 
convert all subprojects to the new plugin and go back to one pom.xml file.

Otherwise, I am very pleased with the new plugin...

-> richard

Mime
View raw message