felix-dev mailing list archives

From Marcel Offermans <marcel.offerm...@luminis.nl>
Subject Re: Can maven-ant-plugin create a Felix bundle?
Date Wed, 08 Nov 2006 15:15:56 GMT
Hello Tim,

On Nov 8, 2006, at 15:57 , Tim Moloney wrote:

> My hope was to use Maven to do development of a project on an
> Internet-connected machine.  Then, when the project is released, I
> would also release the project's sources, an ant build.xml file,
> and all the project's dependencies.  This would be the smallest
> complete set of requirements for someone to build the project from
> source.  This set of requirements would be much less than those
> required to build the project using Maven.

In my personal opinion, this is certainly a worth-while thing to do.
I agree with your observations about Maven pulling in lots of
resources when doing a build.

For public releases, this might be a problem. I am not a Maven
expert, but let's assume we do a source release of Felix now and
three years from now we get this archive and try to build it again.
The only truly reproducable way to do that is to make sure that both
the Maven version and the versions of all required dependencies are
exactly the same as they were at the time of the release. That also
means we need to specify which Maven version to use when we create a
release. Currently, I don't see how we can do that (and how even to
"freeze" snapshot versions of dependencies, which seems to be
completely impossible). The only work-around would be to include a
full copy of Maven and all its dependencies in each release.

Greetings, Marcel