felix-dev mailing list archives

From "Karl Pauls" <karlpa...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Question about NOTICE file
Date Tue, 24 Oct 2006 08:08:40 GMT
> > In regard to the example, I'd argue that due to the ASL version of the
> > OSGi subprojects and the OSGi terms we don't need to add it to the
> > NOTICE file of  released artifacts that only depend on it.
>
> What if a subproject depended on something that was BSD licensed?

BSD has no reciprocity hence, same as ASL.

> > Note, however, that for example the framework subproject will need to add it
> > (because it contains the AdminPermission stuff).
>
> Does it? Why? The AdminPermission stuff is completely written within the
> Felix project, it is not a copy of anything from the OSGi Alliance.

True, but it does copy/comprise an interface developed/copyrighted by
the OSGi Alliance. From my understanding this is a grey area and I'd
argue to add it to the NOTICE to be save ... but IANAL and I believe
stuff like that is first, not really tested in court and second,
subject to subtle differences in copyright laws all over the world. I
think we should add it to be save or ask at legal@ for a
clarification.

> -> richard

regards,