felix-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Moloney <t.molo...@verizon.net>
Subject Re: Is there a xerces bundle that works with Maven2?
Date Tue, 10 Oct 2006 13:52:05 GMT
Tim Moloney wrote:
> I'm still relatively new to Maven and Felix but I've been doing as
> much reading and experimenting as I can.
>
> I'm trying to write an application that has the following dependencies.
>

> MyApp --> MyUtils
>  |          |
>  |          V
>  +------> xerces
>
> I can successfully build and run MyApp if I include the xerces jar
> file in both the MyApp and MyUtils bundles.
>
> What I'd really like to do is use a separate xerces bundle that both
> MyApp and MyUtils depend on.
>
> I can't find an existing xerces bundle and pom file that works with
> both Felix and Maven2.  Does one exist?  If not, is there a process
> that I can follow to manually take the xerces jar file (or any third
> party library) and create a Felix bundle and pom file that Maven can
> use when building projects?
>
> Tim Moloney

I've managed to get my bundles to build without including the xerces jar
in each of them.  Unfortunately, I'm building against one jar and
executing using another.

Into my local maven repository, I installed the xerces 2.8.0 bundle that
I found at http://bundles.osgi.org/Main/Repository.  I then tried to use
the following dependency in my pom.xml.

    <dependency>
      <groupId>xerces</groupId>
      <artifactId>org.apache.xerces</artifactId>
      <version>2.8.0.v200606131651</version>
      <scope>provided</scope>
    </dependency>

This gave me a "package org.apache.xml.serialize does not exist" error.

The xerces 2.8.0 bundle doesn't directly contain any class files.
Instead, it contains resolver.jar, xercesImpl.jar, and xml-apis.jar.
Can maven not see into nested jar files?

If I use the following dependencies, I can build successfully but then
I'm building against the xerces jar file from the ibiblio repository and
not with the xerces bundle that I will be executing.

    <dependency>
      <groupId>xerces</groupId>
      <artifactId>xercesImpl</artifactId>
      <version>2.8.0</version>
      <scope>provided</scope>
    </dependency>

Is there a way to get around this problem?

Tim Moloney