felix-dev mailing list archives

From "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>
Subject Re: Maven 2 plugin and Require-Bundle
Date Wed, 04 Oct 2006 13:49:33 GMT
I am not exactly sure what you are saying below.

To be clear, require-bundle and import-package are not equivalent, but
they certainly overlap. A simple way of looking at require-bundle is
that it is a shorthand way of importing every package that is exported
by another bundle, but it a slightly different than this in reality.

Import-package terminates when a class from the package is not found
(i.e., packages are assumed to be self-contained), while require-bundle
does NOT terminate when a class from a package is not found, it
continues searching other required bundles as well as the local bundle
itself (i.e., packages are assumed to be split).

Although require-bundle seems like a convenience method, it really is
different and should only be used if you require the functionality that
it provides. By and large, you should use import-package.

-> richard