felix-dev mailing list archives

From "Chris Custine" <chris.cust...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Work with Felix but how?!
Date Sun, 08 Oct 2006 16:30:11 GMT
This is an interesting question that I have been pondering as well.  At
first it seemed like re-packaging my app into bundles and utilizing the OSGi
/ Felix framework was the way to go, but as I started down that path I
realized that I was going to spend a lot of time "bundling" my own
components that would never be used outside of my core application.
Instead, what I really want is to utilize the OSGi framework for managing
"plugins" (ie Bundles) within my application so that we can package
functionality seperately and allow users to extend it as well.

I also started thinking about managing the bundles within my app so I
started writing an Ajax based admin page similar to the ones in the Oscar
repository.  I originally thought I would write it as a Bundle, but all of
our apps are using Spring and Spring MVC and I couldn't figure out how to
include all of that in a standalone Bundle using the http or servlet
bundles.  Like you said, there doesn't appear to be any way to deploy a full
blown web app with SCL's and request listeners (web.xml) using the built in
HTTP and servlet bundles.

Sorry to respond without an answer, but I wanted to register my interest in
these questions as well.  I am going to use Felix for bundle management in
at least a couple of applications (one web, one middleware/messaging) and I
am starting from scratch, so I think these initial decisions / questions are
going to be common for any new developer.  I am considering documenting the
thought process and outcome of these choices from a new user standpoint if
the Felix team is interested in adding something like that to the docs.