felix-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Francesco Furfari <francesco.furf...@isti.cnr.it>
Subject Re: JMX and UPnP
Date Fri, 15 Sep 2006 10:58:49 GMT
I re-send this message because I don't see it on the ML
------------------------------------------------



Well referring to the Manuel' message, unifying the implementations 
would be a great move.

stephane.frenot@insa-lyon.fr wrote:
 > Yes that's it. You can have two implementing ways :
 >
 > - UPnPdev <-> MBean <-> JMXConsole
 > In this case each UPnP device declares an MBean which represent
 > himself. So the JMXConsole can be considered as a controlPoint
 >

I guess this approach is more general and so compatible also with Jmood, 
isn't?
Here I need some hint on JMX architecture because I was wondering 
whether a DynamicMbean is the right way for probing the UPnP devices. 
Thinking to the data exchanged, my doubt are related to the mapping of 
UPnP\Java data type. Would a generic JMX console be able to build 
automatically the  right interface to interact with the probed UPnP device?

 >
 > - UPnPdev <-> ControlPoint <-> MBean <-> JMXconsole
 > In this case the control point declares a MBean that enable the
 > JMXConsole to manage it.
 > I have done the second one in a simple example.

Great, I'm curious to know how you have instrumented the Generic Control 
Point :-) . Do you have also implemented the GUI for the console?
Why not commit it in your sandbox ;-)

There would be also another interesting implementation for remote 
management, I don't know if JMX can come into help.
I'm thinking a scenario where a Control Center installs a blinking light 
alarm, a physical UPnP device, on its local network and connects the 
Alarm device to some remote device of one or more managed gateways.
There are also other interesting use cases  ...

Thus the path should be:
Remote UPnPdev <-> MBean <-> JMX <-> UPnPDev <-> UPnPDriver <->
Local 
UPnP Alarm

Of corse we could choose other protocols in order to connect the two 
UPnP networks, but you are more experienced than me to tell if such 
chain is a convenient approach.

francesco



 >
 > /stephane
 > On Fri, Sep 15, 2006 at 09:40:15AM +0200, Francesco Furfari wrote:
 >>> The question I don't understand is if you want to do some UPnP control
 >>> point out of JMX ?
 >>>
 >>> /stephane
 >> I'm not sure to understand your question. Are you asking if I want 
to create a new GUI (Tab) for your console acting as a Generic Control 
Point, that is similar to GUI of the bundle we have developed for 
testing UPnP?
 >> or the question is about bridging two local UPnP networks ?
 >>
 >> francesco
 >>
 >>
 >














stephane.frenot@insa-lyon.fr wrote:
> Yes that's it. 
> You can have two implementing ways :
> 
> - UPnPdev <-> MBean <-> JMXConsole
> In this case each UPnP device declares an MBean which represent
> himself. So the JMXConsole can be considered as a controlPoint
> 
> 
> - UPnPdev <-> ControlPoint <-> MBean <-> JMXconsole
> In this case the control point declares a MBean that enable the
> JMXConsole to manage it. 
> 
> I have done the second one in a simple example. 
> 
> /stephane
> On Fri, Sep 15, 2006 at 09:40:15AM +0200, Francesco Furfari wrote:
>>> The question I don't understand is if you want to do some UPnP control
>>> point out of JMX ?
>>>
>>> /stephane
>> I'm not sure to understand your question. Are you asking if I want to 
>> create a new GUI (Tab) for your console acting as a Generic Control 
>> Point, that is similar to GUI of the bundle we have developed for 
>> testing UPnP?
>> or the question is about bridging two local UPnP networks ?
>>
>> francesco
>>
>>
> 

Mime
View raw message