felix-dev mailing list archives

From "Nektarios K. Papadopoulos" <npapa...@inaccessnetworks.com>
Subject Re: Should I move JMood to the trunk?
Date Fri, 01 Sep 2006 07:47:27 GMT
Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> On Thursday 31 August 2006 23:07, Richard S. Hall wrote:
>> Stephane,
>>
>> Are you hosting these in the repo or are you simply depending on them? I
>> assume you are just depending on them, but not checking them into the
>> repo. If so, then that is ok, right Upayavira?
>
> No, that is not correct.
>
> Since FSF is still considering Java to trigger the viral behavior of LGPL when
> you have a dependency through an import statement, ASF plays safe and do not
> allow projects to have a direct binary dependency.
IANAL, but according to http://www.gnu.org/licenses/lgpl-java.html it is
safe to have a dependency through an import statement. The problem would
be to link to GPL, *not* LGPL.
Nevertheless, indeed ASF do not allow this, with the exceptions
described in the link provided by Upayavira
(http://people.apache.org/~cliffs/3party.html#options-optional)

..(see below)

> IIUIC, the exception is; If the dependency can be made totally optional, so
> that when the LGPLd code is not used by the user, there are no links into the
> LGPL'd code, and that the user must explicitly enable the extension that
> brings in the LGPL'd part (I also think there are some notice requirements
> around that, to make sure the user understand what he/she is doing).
IMHO, this can be safely done for JMood. JMood can be considered a
totally optional add-on. It's not the Framewrok, not even a standard
service.

> Typically this is done by creating a facade interface which can have many
> implementations and one of those (not the default one) uses the LGPL'd part.
IIUC, a facade interface is not a requirement as long as the retrieval
of the LGPL'd part and the building of the dependent part is not enabled
by default in the standard build scripts.

> I hope this helps. If any doubts, check with legal-discuss@a.o
>

> Cheers
> Niclas

I hope this helps.

cheers,
nek

Nektarios K. Papadopoulos
Senior Engineer
Software Engineering Group
inAccess Networks
95A Pentelis Avenue.    Tel    : +30-210-6837640
152 34 Halandri Athens  Fax    : +30-210-6899504