felix-dev mailing list archives

From Marcel Offermans <marcel.offerm...@luminis.nl>
Subject Re: Felix website
Date Tue, 22 Aug 2006 08:19:24 GMT
Hello Rob,

On Aug 22, 2006, at 7:49 , Rob Walker wrote:

> Just an idea - could we have the menu also created from a Wiki page
> e.g. a sort of "table of contents" page.

Yes, that's a good idea.

> Using Wiki's linking capability, it's dead easy to create this menu
> page on the Wiki side. Not sure how easy it would be to then read
> it in and then use it from the Maven side to build the left hadn
> menu and determine what other pages to pull in.

And this is exactly the problem I have not figured out yet. We'd need
to pull in some URL into a Velocity template. I have not yet looked
this one up. If Velocity can do that, then we can implement this.

> (We use Twiki here at work - and that's how Twiki's left-hand-menu
> bar is created, just as a regular page which is then processed
> dynamically to create a left hand menu)

Confluence can do this too.

Basically, a "space" in confluence is a collection of pages, each
with its own unique name (which gets translated by the auto-exporter
into a static page with the same name).

Apart from this, you can define a "parent" page for each page in the
space, creating arbitrary hierarchies. You can use these to auto
generate menu/TOC style content. The {children} tag in the
documentation page is an example of this.

Furthermore, there's the possibility to use labels, which can also be
aggregated into menus, but I haven't played with those enough to
indicate how and when to use them.

Finally, you can roll your own menus by creating a menu as a page and
simply including that page everywhere you need that menu.

That summarizes our options. :)

Greetings, Marcel

View raw message