felix-dev mailing list archives

From Marcel Offermans <marcel.offerm...@luminis.nl>
Subject Re: Proposal: coding standards
Date Tue, 22 Aug 2006 08:13:42 GMT
Hello Upayavira,

On Aug 22, 2006, at 0:41 , Upayavira wrote:

> Coding standards in open source projects are an interesting
> phenomenon,
> in as much as there is really no way to enforce them. Really, all I
> think we could have would be a recommendation. Is that how you were
> offering it?

I put forward this proposal because we should have a coding standard
on our website according to the guide Ronald mentioned (http://
incubator.apache.org/guides/sites.html). Depending on the feedback
from other committers we will have to figure out how strict we want
to follow the guide. As I say, it is merely a starting point, but I'm
happy to see that most things in the guide actually make sense to the
committers that have reacted so far.

In theory, I think we could even enforce these guidelines if we
wanted to. Not that I'm proposing we should do that, but if all
committers would agree that all code should follow the guidelines
closely then we would not have any problem enforcing that. For the
code that I maintain, I will make sure it conforms to the standard we
choose.

I think the suggestion that Alex put forward to create an Eclipse
format for this style would be nice. I also like to integrate a
checkstyle like report as Ronald suggested. But both things are steps
we should take after agreeing on the standard itself. I will wait for
a couple of days and then try to summarize the reactions.

Greetings, Marcel