felix-dev mailing list archives

From "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>
Subject Re: Proposal: coding standards
Date Mon, 21 Aug 2006 21:11:07 GMT
Overall, the style is fairly close to what I have been using in
Oscar/Felix for years now, except for { being on the same line. I am a
fan whitespace in code and I find that having the open { on a separate
line gives me less dense code that is easier to read. Thus, I could
pretty much go with it as is if we could move the { onto a line by itself.

-> richard

Marcel Offermans wrote:
> Since one of the things we should have for Felix is a coding standard,
> I just added a lengthy page on the wiki with a PROPOSAL for such a
> coding standard. In fact, I simply took our company's guide (with
> their permission of course) and made some minor alterations (some
> things were not relevant here). This is meant as a starting point, so
> please read it and give your feedback.
> You can read it here on the site (the static copy) and you will notice
> that we need to improve our stylesheet to get better formatting:
> http://cwiki.apache.org/FELIX/codingstandards.html
> that being said, you can also have a look on the wiki directly (which
> has better built-in styles already):
> http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FELIX/codingstandards
> Feel free to comment on anything that's there or missing, voice your
> opinion on what we should and should not try to "standardize". I'm
> particularly interested in your opinions on all the different modules
> (subprojects) and if we should even attempt to enforce any specific
> guide on all of them.
> In my experience, agreeing on a coding standard has always been a
> difficult process, because many people have strong personal opinions
> and often, valid points can be made for deciding some things either
> way. The reason to even try to get a standard is easier read- and
> understandability. Oh well, enough talk for one evening!
> Greetings, Marcel

View raw message