felix-dev mailing list archives

From Marcel Offermans <marcel.offerm...@luminis.nl>
Subject Proposal: coding standards
Date Mon, 21 Aug 2006 20:55:45 GMT
Since one of the things we should have for Felix is a coding
standard, I just added a lengthy page on the wiki with a PROPOSAL for
such a coding standard. In fact, I simply took our company's guide
(with their permission of course) and made some minor alterations
(some things were not relevant here). This is meant as a starting
point, so please read it and give your feedback.

You can read it here on the site (the static copy) and you will
notice that we need to improve our stylesheet to get better formatting:
http://cwiki.apache.org/FELIX/codingstandards.html

that being said, you can also have a look on the wiki directly (which
has better built-in styles already):
http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FELIX/codingstandards

Feel free to comment on anything that's there or missing, voice your
opinion on what we should and should not try to "standardize". I'm
particularly interested in your opinions on all the different modules
(subprojects) and if we should even attempt to enforce any specific
guide on all of them.

In my experience, agreeing on a coding standard has always been a
difficult process, because many people have strong personal opinions
and often, valid points can be made for deciding some things either
way. The reason to even try to get a standard is easier read- and
understandability. Oh well, enough talk for one evening!

Greetings, Marcel