felix-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff McAffer <Jeff_McAf...@ca.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Running Felix within Eclipse
Date Fri, 14 Jul 2006 12:43:56 GMT
I assume here that you are NOT using PDE in eclipse right?  That is, from
the Eclipse perspective you are just developing Java code in Java
projects.  It also seems that you are using maven to do the builds.  If
this is correct, you should end up with a set of Maven created JARs
wherever Maven put them.  From there all you should have to do is create a
Java Launch Configuration and run.  Of course if you change the code in
the workspace then you have to run Maven again and get new JARs generated.

Not knowing Felix code at all but based on our Equinox experience I
suspect the problem with Felix not picking up your new code is because
Felix copies the JARs when you install the bundles.  I recall that Richard
added the ability to intsall bundles by reference but don't know the
details (I assume it works somewhat like the support in Equinox).  Perhaps
you could use that for installing your bundles?  Note thta you may still
have refresh problems when changing manifest information or anything else
the Felix (or installed bundles) cache.

BTW, in case people don't understand, this is exactly the sort of stuff
that PDE is designed to take care of for you.  It does the classpath
management, package visibility, building, cache management and framework
launching.  Developers don't have to mess with classpaths, building, ...
They just code and run.  It would be interesting to see how these
facilities could be brought to bear on Felix.  For example, since there is
no standard way of launching frameworks, PDE currently only launches
Equinox.  Perhaps someone in the this community would be interested in
contributing support for launching Felix?

Stefano Lenzi <kismet@interfree.it>
07/14/2006 08:22 AM
Please respond to

Re: Running Felix within Eclipse

> Yes I had osgi.core in my classpath due to project dependencies of the
> project org.apache.felix.main to org.osgi.core so to get it working
> had to:
>  - go to run configuration
>  - go to classpath
>  - ensure that felix.jar is there( if you followed the instruction of
> Clement should be here) otherwise add it
>  - move it up so that felix.jar become the first line under User Entries
> Now is working back ^_^

I was happy too early...  :-S
Right now, I'm able to run Felix within Eclipse, but when I update the
source code of my bundle and then I start Felix, Felix do not notice the
difference(Felix continues to use the old binary code).
                 So I end with a binary that is not synched with the
sources and also
without the update that I have made to it.

                 Any idea?

Stefano "Kismet" Lenzi