felix-dev mailing list archives

From BJ Hargrave <hargr...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: [RESULT] Re: [VOTE] artifactId/repository/JAR file naming
Date Tue, 11 Jul 2006 15:41:56 GMT
I guess no one actually tried this out before voting?

I suggest:     * ${groupId}.${artifactId} ==> org.apache.felix.felix-shell

for BSN. It is simple and straight forward.

How about something like:
    * ${groupId} = org.apache.felix
    * ${package} = shell
    * ${artifactId} = felix-${package}
    * ${bundle-symbolicname} = ${groupId}.${artifactId}
    * ${expored-package} = ${groupId}.${package}

BJ Hargrave
Senior Technical Staff Member, IBM
Office: +1 407 849 9117 Mobile: +1 386 848 3788

"Richard S. Hall" <heavy@ungoverned.org>
07/11/2006 10:30 AM
Please respond to

Re: [RESULT] Re: [VOTE] artifactId/repository/JAR file naming

A follow up on this topic.

I was going to sit down and start renaming some of my subprojects
according to the new rules, but then I ran into some issues that I felt
I needed to discuss.

First, I wanted to give people some warning that when I change the name
of the shell-related JAR files then this will effectively break existing
saved bundle profiles. What will actually happen is that all existing
profiles will get a new set of shell-related bundles installed into
them. This is only really problematic for the ShellTUI bundle, since it
uses stdin. The solution is to uninstall the old shell bundles or to
recreate your profiles. For the more adventurous, you could go into the
profile directory and edit the bundle.location files of the
shell-related bundles to match the new name, then you won't get

Second, given the new naming scheme for artifactId, we do not really
have an obvious way to generate the bundle symbolic name. For example,
we will have this information:

    groupId = org.apache.felix
    artifactId = felix-shell

So, what should the bundle symbolic name for this bundle be?

    * ${groupId}.${artifactId} ==> org.apache.felix.felix-shell
    * ${artifactId} ==> felix-shell
    * f(${groupId},${artifactId}) ==> org.apache.felix.shell

Any suggestions?

I also see another minor downside with this approach in that I am not
able to use variable substitution as much in my pom file, e.g., since
the name of the artifactId was the same as the package I could use
variable substitution in my export-package header.

-> richard

Enrique Rodriguez wrote:
> Richard S. Hall wrote:
>> Time to call this vote:
>>    * +1 votes - Marcel Offermans, Richard S. Hall, Stephane Frenot,
>>      Trustin Lee, Niclas Hedhman, Enrique Rodriguez, Manuel Santillan,
>>      Timothy Bennett, Alan D. Cabrera, and Alex Karasulu.
>>    * 0 votes - Stefano Lenzi.
>>    * -1 votes - None.
>> So, I guess we can all rename our own subprojects for the time being.
>> Are there going to be any issues we need to consider before starting
>> the rename process? For example, I would guess that we need to remove
>> the existing artifacts from the snapshot repository, no? Is there any
>> thing else?
> I think that's it.  People should do full re-builds at the root of
> Felix.  As you noted, the deploy repo should be manually purged and
> builds tested online.
> Enrique

View raw message