felix-dev mailing list archives

From Marcel Offermans <marcel.offerm...@luminis.nl>
Subject Re: KXML License
Date Mon, 10 Jul 2006 22:03:18 GMT
 From memory, the service binder is currently the only one still
using kXML 1.x (which has this "problematic" license). Several other
bundles have already been migrated to kXML 2.x (which has a different
license). I have no experience with either version of the library, so
I don't know if it is easy to migrate from 1.x to 2.x but I do
believe that is the way to go. Perhaps Humberto or Richard can have a
look at this (or somebody else with kXML experience)?

On Jul 10, 2006, at 23:49 , Upayavira wrote:

> I am concerned about the license for KXML, which I believe we use.
> From my uneducated reading of the below clause [1] (which is taken
> from
> Enhydra 1.0, I can't yet find a copy of 1.1), we cannot use KXML,
> as it
> places a requirement upon us that we offer modifications public and
> notifying the originator. This is a requirement on top of those in the
> ASL and is therefore not compatible.
> So, how do we deal with this? How possible is it to replace KXML with
> something else, assuming my interpretation is correct?
> Regards, Upayavira
> [1]
> 3.2. Availability of Source Code.
> Any Modification which You create or to which You contribute must be
> made available in Source Code form under the terms of this License
> either on the same media as an Executable version or via an accepted
> Electronic Distribution Mechanism to anyone to whom you made an
> Executable version available; and if made available via Electronic
> Distribution Mechanism, must remain available for at least twelve (12)
> months after the date it initially became available, or at least
> six (6)
> months after a subsequent version of that particular Modification has
> been made available to such recipients. You are responsible for
> notifying the Initial Developer of the Modification and the
> location of
> the Source Code if a contact means is provided. Lutris will be
> acting as
> maintainer of the Source Code and may provide an Electronic
> Distribution
> mechanism for the Modification to be made available. You can contact
> Lutris to make the Modification available and to notify the Initial
> Developer. (http://www.lutris.com/)

View raw message