felix-dev mailing list archives

From "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>
Subject Re: Running Felix within Eclipse
Date Fri, 14 Jul 2006 19:20:19 GMT
Francesco Furfari wrote:
> Richard S. Hall wrote:
>>> That's what I want to avoid when I'm coding...
>>
>> I don't use Eclipse in this way, so I cannot really offer too much
>> advice.
>>
>> You could install the JAR by reference, e.g., "install
>> reference:file:/path/to/jar", but you could run into some issues if
>> you majorly change the structure of your JAR file.
>
> I guess Stefano is referring to changing the code interactively
> without regenerated the Jar.
> I'm still using a standard Java project without mvn plugin, in this
> configuration when I set a breakpoint, for example in the "switch
> on/off" action of the TV bundle, and during the debugging I save a
> modified version of the source code (without new types or any other
> heavy modification)  the debugger is able to reload the class  (I'm
> supposing) and update the execution flow immediately. Of course if you
> stop Felix and restart it again your changes are lost, but it's
> sufficient to save again the sources (e.g with a new blank space) to
> force again the reloading of the class.
> All that installing the bundle in the standard way (not references ...)

I think this still works because Peter was showing me how to do some
debugging in Eclipse at ApacheCon and we did this exact thing. Although,
the way I set it was was to connect to a running VM...I did not run
Felix from Eclipse...but I don't think that would be much different that
if you created a launcher in Eclipse.

I don't really know.

Also, as another option, you can install exploded bundle directories by
reference too.

-> richard